Title: Assistant Retail Buyer
The Lost Gardens of Heligan are looking to recruit an Assistant Buyer to work within our Trading Team.
Our retail outlet is a busy and successful gift shop open not only to garden visitors but to members of the public. Focusing on local, unique, authentic and relevant items we aim to provide our customers with an experience they can only find at The Lost Gardens of Heligan.
Working closely with our Retail Manager you will be responsible for maintaining healthy stock levels. You will also be assisting in driving additional revenue, and the development and buying of products that reflect our ethos and values.
- Working with selected suppliers to source and select unique and relevant products to be merchandised and sold through the Heligan outlets.
- Assisting the Retail Manager in buying products that are relevant and authentic, having identified market trends, whilst maintaining a high awareness of Heligan’s brand guidelines.
- Planning product ranges and preparing sales and stock plans.
- Liaising with suppliers and distributors to build and maintain positive relationships whilst ensuring products are supplied to the specified quality, at the agreed time and within budget.
- Identifying production and supply difficulties and dealing with any problems or delays as they arise - managing lead times.
- Working with the Retail Manager to forecast profit and sales, particularly in relation to new ranges.
- To analyse, evaluate and balance the product cost, retail price and profit margin in order to optimise sales and maximise revenue before making a recommendation to select or deselect products.
- Controlling stock levels based on forecasts for the season.
- Maintaining awareness of competitors’/similar outlets performance.
- Gathering information on customers’ reaction to products.
- Visiting manufacturers to appreciate the production process and relaying that information where appropriate.
- Presenting new products and supplier information to Retail Staff.
- Liaise and collaborate with other departments at Heligan to keep abreast of seasonal activities, themes and events in order to identify opportunities for new products that have the potential to generate retail sales.
- Managing delivery schedules, with an awareness of storage availability.
- Working with Heligan’s Finance Department to manage invoicing and payments.
- Collaborate with Heligan’s Marketing Team to highlight seasonal or relevant products.
- Working with the Heligan Green Champion to ensure that products are sourced in line with Heligan’s Green Policy.
- Previous retail experience is essential.
- Some knowledge of procurement.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills to work out budgets and understand sales figures.
- Strong commercial acumen and the ability to understand what will appeal to customers.
- Sound decision-making skills and the ability to plan and prioritise.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
Qualities you will need to display:
- The capability to work well as part of a team and to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Computer literacy.
- The ability to work under pressure in a dynamic environment and to quickly identify problems and recommend solutions.
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
- Free parking.
- Sociable hours with no shift work.
- Generous pension.
- Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies.
- Discounted staff meals within our tearooms.
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a personal statement (no more than 1 side of A4) explaining why you would be great in this role, to email@example.com